I am done!

The last few days have been pretty intense. I was in the first group to start printing and started dying my fabric on Monday after a trip to Lisbet Friis’ studio (check back tomorrow for more on that!)

I started off by choosing my final colors for the piece, and fabric. I chose with a light weight linen. I then started the dying process.

After about an hour of stirring, I realized that something was terribly wrong. My fabric was not supposed to be this light, or PINK!

Oh no...

Malene adjusted the recipe and after lots of stirring and time I ended up with the color that I had in mind.

This is the color I was going for

Here I am checking the time right before adding the acid solution that will stop the dying process. In total I stood and stirred for 2 hours and 30 minutes! My poor hands had blisters afterwards!

Checking the time, I stirred for a total of 2 hours and 30 minutes

Now on to the printing!

About to start the printing process

To make sure that our registration was aligned correctly we this bar and various measurements on the side of the table that corresponded with the size of our screen and the repeat of our pattern. Every measurement must be double checked before printing every single time down to the millimeter or the repeat will not line up correctly.

Printing with Gunhild

Since everything must be extremely accurate and we do not have clamps to hold the screen or bar down everyone was assigned a printing buddy. Ashley double checked all of my measurements and held my screen down through out the entire process. Thanks Ashley!

The hardest part for me was printing the middle!

Awkward printing

After way to many hours I was finally finished with my first color seperation!

Finished with my first color seperation

No process photos exist of printing the second layer since it was getting extremely late. At 4 am I crashed in the laundry room and made myself a makeshift bed out of drop cloths, don’t worry they are clean even though they don’t look it! I woke up at 7:30 to finish my print and put on the finishing details that I was too tired to do before my nap.


I am finally finished! All that is left is the after care.

Finally done!


Like washing and boiling…
Lots of washing

and ironing in this crazy machine!
Ironing my final piece

I will post photos of the completed fabric when it is all hemmed in its entirety.

Tomorrow check back for photos from Lisbet Friis’ studio and the Denmark Designskole fashion show!


2 responses to “I am done!

  1. i am so envious of you being able to do this kind of thing…it’s something i have been yearning to do for a long time now! i’ll be watching your progress in that program (and beyond) with wistful longing! :)the fabric looks so great…it must be so fullfilling to do something like that and bring it to life, with your hand in each step of the process.

  2. Beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s